If you are finding that you don’t have many opportunities to practise English with native speakers, then joining a forum or Facebook group can be a fantastic way to communicate with English people from the comfort of your own home!
By the way, if you prefer listening to reading, click the arrow below:
What are the benefits of joining a forum or Facebook group?
- VARIETY: You can choose any topic or hobby that you are interested in. The more interested we are in a subject, the more likely we are to remember language related to it. So pick something you love – cycling, make-up, photography, DIY, football, music, gardening – and immerse yourself in that world!
- BUILDING CONTACTS: You might find, and stay in contact with, like-minded people giving you future opportunities to practise English with native speakers.
- READING: You will have lots of reading practice, and different types of reading as everybody will have a different style.
- WRITING: You can write without worrying about your mistakes. Although correction is extremely useful, sometimes it’s nice to just get your thoughts out without analysing your grammar too much.
- COMMUNITY: You’ll become part of a community, and that is a fantastic and supportive environment for learning.
Is it difficult to find a forum or Facebook group?
It’s very simple. You can just put your chosen topic into a search engine and find one there. For example, if you love tropical fish and have a fish tank, just search for ‘fish forum’! All you’ll need is a valid email address. You can find out more about joining a forum here.
Or you can find a Facebook group. Just sign in to Facebook and enter your chosen topic into the search bar (e.g. Gardening English) Choose a group you like the sound of and click the ‘Join’ button. If, for example, you like gardening, you’ll get results like this:
Remember to be careful with your personal details and information when you are online. But then relax and have fun while you talk about your hobby AND practise English with native speakers 🙂